Sunday, July 9, 2017

[Attempting] Freediving


What most people don't realize is that swimming isn't just a single skill but rather a collection of several different skills. Being able to swim horizontally on the surface of the water (think freestyle, breaststroke, etc) is a different skill from being able to stay afloat in a stationary position (treading). Another skill, one which I am yet to acquire, is diving. So on one weekend I decided to join a group of freedivers called Team Rocket for some freediving tutorials. They arranged pretty much everything for the 2D 1N trip and all we were left to do is to freedive, or at least attempt to.

Well, TLDR, I did not learn to freedive on that particular weekend. It's ironic that when I was first learning how to swim, I was afraid of deep waters for fear that I might sink and die, and there I was having difficulty sinking. However, I very much enjoyed exploring the reef (or looking at the reef from the surface) and the teeming marine life at Binukbok Viewpoint Resort in Bauan, Batangas where we stayed. "Teeming" is a bit of an understatement, as fishes were abundant almost everywhere from close to the shore, to a little farther, were I saw for the first time, a giant school - no - swarm of fishes.

I will definitely go back, perhaps on a DIY trip. Meanwhile, I will have to train how to dive vertically first.

No comments:

Post a Comment