Sunday, November 18, 2012

Colorful Higantes Festival

Higantes Festival is a yearly parade of huge, painted papier mache made by the people of Angono, Rizal. The event was conceived originally as a mockery of greedy and bossy landlords during the Spanish era who always have their arms on their waist (maybe a predecessor of effigies?). I have never been to a festival, and have even missed Adlaw Hong Butuan where I have been based for years. I am thankful that, finally, I had the chance to beef up my exposure on our country's trademark festivities.

The event was a dayhike to Mt. Sembrano organized by star blogger Ivan Lakwatsero. I've been reading his blog even before I starting hiking, and I can't believe that I'd actually get a chance to meet him in person. The Higantes is a sidetrip that fortunately coincides on the day of the hike. As my knees and toes were still reeling from the torture of Mt. Tapulao a week ago, I decided to catch Higantes, and roam around Angono, Rizal the Arts Capital of the Philippines, and maybe visit a museum or art gallery, while the rest of the group climbs Mt. Sembrano.



A few observations:

1. Something that newscasts don't prominently feature when they report on the Higantes are the ads, for obvious reasons. In fact, almost half of the Higantes were "sponsored" by companies and establishments, shown either by a sash on the Higantes or a banner. Even the Pochi mascot was there. Of course, some Higantes had names of politicians strapped on them. How appropriate, I thought, that these politicians have decided to name the Higantes to themselves, considering what the Higantes actually (or used to) represent.

The Pochi mascot. [2]
TnT Higantes, incidentally, beside one of the many TnT adds on the streets. [4]
2. The Higantes range in different sizes, the smaller ones were carried by small school children. At least one of the Higantes fell flat on the ground (poor kid). The Higantes look lightweight - they consist of a paper mache face and a bamboo frame - but it's probably difficult to watch your step from the inside.

The small Higantes, off to their designated place. [4]
The larger Higantes. [4]

The Higantes, hollow and waiting to be clothed. [2]
3. There's a Gangnam Higante, accompanied, not by throngs of musicians or dancers, but by loud speakers busting, of course, Gangnam Style. No comment.

The Gangnam Higante [3]
4. I'm a big fan of band music - and this is probably the part that I enjoyed the most. In all, the event was loud, colorful and festive - with bands, dancers and people in colorful costumes and just people filling the atmosphere where happiness (for lack of a better description). I especially loved the Higantes which were carried by more skilled, uhm, carrier, who can make their Higante swing and jump.

Dancers [2]

One of the many bands during the parade. [2]
6. Riza Hontiveros joined us, and other expectators, to catch the whole parade. Too bad we weren't too brave enough to get a pic with her.

I have to be honest on this - having been to the Higantes Festival is a great feeling - although the Higantes that I have in mind are way bigger. I also wish that the sponsors would be a little more discrete next time. True, the local government may need the funds, but please. Anyway, now I'm even hungrier for more festivals. I hope to catch Sinulog, Pahiyas and maybe the Lantern Festival this December.

Meanwhile, I didn't feel like going home yet after the parade. I also didn't feel like visiting a museum, which could be close as it was Sunday. I decided to join the hike, even as my knees complained - an unwise and reckless decision which could possibly wreck my Pulag climb the following week. But oh well, here goes nothing. I'm itching to be exhausted again, and it had to be scratched :p.

Anyway #2, as I was typing this I realized that I really want to go back to Angono to visit the museums. More on this in the following weeks.

Update:
I have a feeling these were one of the Higantes that went on parade, and transformed into a Three Kings display. Neat!

Three Kings

Iti and Expenses

5:30 AM Took a jeep (P35) bound for Angono at a terminal in Shaw Blvd.
6:00 AM Arrived at Angono
7:30 AM Start of the parade

For more infos, visit the Angono Tourism Office FB page.

Photo Credits: [1] Jef Sta. Maria, [2] Allan Alonzo, [3] Ivan Cultura, [4] Anthony Arcilla and [5] Angono Tourism Office.

No comments:

Post a Comment